Saturday 23 November 2013

Small gains


So it's been a few weeks since my last post, and well, training really has been a roller-coaster recently!
My goal for 2014 is to make it to the CrossFit Europan Regionals, and now I have seen a glimpse of how much I have improved over the last year, this goal has the potential to be reached. However there are a fair few 'weaknesses' that I need to address... Box jumps being one of them

'Box Phobia'
Box jumps have always been a MASSIVE weakness of mine, and whenever they came up in a workout my heart sunk. I don't know why, but I have always struggled with the rebound, taking that extra moment on the floor to set myself to jump back on the box.
However on that Saturday morning something magical happened (yes I know, they are a reliability simple movement). I set it in my head that I was going to really concentrate on the rebound... well for some unknown reason, IT JUST HAPPENED! I think I actually managed 30-odd jumps, with each one of them a rebound.
I can't express how happy this made me feel, and for the first time I was actually enjoying box jumps. One more tick of the goat list!

'Battle commenced'
So as I said, a rollercoaster of a month, and over the last few weeks I have taken part in the qualifiers for the Battle of London competition that is due to take place in late January.
Last year I only just qualified for the event, placing around about 90th. However when it came down to attending the event, I chickened out!
Having only been crossfiting a few months I felt well out of my depth. Yes, I totally regret the decision not to go, so this year I set my heart on getting to London.
The first workout was right up my street, with box over jumps and cleans ascending in weight.
The next event was two parts within a 12 minute timecap, with the first being four rounds of seven shoulder to overhead and 12 toes to bar. Then, the second scoring part was to establish a three rep max hang snatch in the remaining time.
I love shoulder to overhead stuff, but everything else in this workout I hate, so it was kind of a case of damage limitation. However saying that, it's amazing what your body can do when it's fighting for something.
On the snatch I recorded a score of 52.5kg, this itself was a pb, and then I went on to get two reps at 55... I totally amazed myself!
The final workout was a big 20-minute chipper. I love chippers!

*50 wallballs
*40 Russian KBs
*30 down ups
*20 pull ups
*100 double unders

Whilst everything here is light, it was a real gassy affair. I can honestly say it killed me, and is well up there with one of the hardest workouts I have done. Wether this is because it's a qualifier, and having several other people at Crossfit Central Lancaster screaming at you to keep moving gives you no chance to ease up!

'Dare mighty things'
So, as these few weeks came to an end, it was finished off with another two hero WODs, 'Willy' and 'Wood', and also a good team WOD.

It's been tough going, but working with great people at the box makes it all worthwhile. The constant battles to chase those in front of you, and also keep ahead of those biting at your heals makes you push that little bit more.

And whilst it's 'nice' to stay within your comfort zone, and place high in each workouts, there is a greater achievement in going that little bit further, or faster, and maybe hitting a WOD a bit heavier than what you know your capable of just to push yourself out of your comfort zone.

After all, this is where the magic happens, and it's where you get that true satisfying feeling of knowing you left it all on the table, and gave it your best.


"It is not the critic who counts; nor the one who points out how the strong person stumbled, or where the doer of a deed could have done better.

The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who does actually strive to do deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion, spends oneself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at worst, if he or she fails, at least fails while daring greatly.

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig